Our Commitment to Sustainability
Unisource Solutions is committed to fostering a healthy planet, reducing our carbon impact, and continually coming together to work toward collective change for environmental and social responsibility. Since 1987, Unisource Solutions has been promoting sustainable business practices and partnering with our clients to save money and reduce their environmental impact. Our mission is to raise awareness, continue to diminish waste, and be a part of reducing both ours and our clients’ carbon footprints. We are part of your net-zero strategy.
Unisource Solutions’ Environmental Policy
- Implement operations initiatives that exceed our legal requirements to protect the environment and the health of our employees and customers.
- Continue to require our service partners and the manufacturers we represent to operate at a high sustainable standard.
- Practice pollution prevention measures for ourselves and our clients that are based in effective and efficient waste management programs via the re-use, recycling, and reduction of resources.
- Provide decommission services that support charities through donation programs.
- Employ a refusal policy of excess cardboard in our receiving department.
- Encourage employee participation in onsite and offsite activities that promote and improve environmental sustainability.
- Maintain and support a hybrid workplace model to reduce our employees emissions and pollution impact.
"For our community and for our planet, our society must be held accountable for the effects we impart on our planet. 35 years ago we focused on services that helped our clients recycle their existing products to save money and minimize how much ended up in landfills. Today we aim higher and are committed to increasing our sustainable practices and promoting planet-friendly solutions.”
Jim Kastner, CEO
Reduce, Reuse, and Recycle
From the products we represent and produce, to the services we offer, we are committed to making the most of our clients’ resources while minimizing the impact on our planet. Reusing and recycling valuable corporate resources helps reduce disposal costs, minimizes unnecessary purchasing and creation of new product, and diverts tons of waste from our landfills. Here are a few steps in our process for reducing, re-using, and recycling resources:
- Repair and refurbish viable assets and recycle them back into the workplace.
- Our centralized recycling program diverts metal, paper, and pallets from ending as waste.
- Repurpose items that can be down-cycled, through facilitation of liquidation sales and large-scale donations.
- Utilize workplace analytics to optimize the use of their physical space. Having insight into this information empowers businesses to reduce energy consumption, reduce physical assets, and avoid additional waste.
Decommissioning and Supporting our Local Community
Office decommissions can be daunting. But with the right partner, these projects can come off without a hitch and serve your company’s interests in numerous ways. At Unisource Solutions, we help companies by providing a wide range of workplace strategies including office space decommission and net-zero partnerships. Many of our clients utilize our warehouse space for storage of their furniture assets. These products can be repurposed, refurbished, and repaired as needed in any location. When our clients want to reconfigure an existing workplace or set up a new office, we access their inventory and redeploy it as needed. Workplace decommissions require maintaining sophisticated systems to track every piece of furniture within a giant warehouse and maintaining a fleet of trucks to transport decommissioned furniture. We access the necessary locations of our warehouse, load the desired furniture, and install that furniture in a new location. What this means is that our company functions in two key ways: we provide workplace strategies and workplace services.
We helped Union Bank with a decommissioning project and were able to support over 50 charities. Ultimately, reducing their storage inventory by 70%, resulting in 38,769 total cubic feet of donated product with a value of $1.5M.
AT&T tapped Unisource Solutions to decommission their El Segundo-leased location and re-stack their adjacent company-owned facility. We were tasked to decommission thirteen floors, spanning 205,000 sq. ft., and accounting for more than 1,300 units of office furniture and systems.
LAWA Airport Police Facility
Los Angeles World Airports (LAWA) unveiled their new state-of-the-art Airport Police Facility and tapped Unisource Solutions to outfit the interiors with modern office furniture using materials that adhered to CalGreen Tier 1 standards and LEED Silver certification requirements.
As a Best-In-Class Haworth dealer, Unisource Solutions is proud to be part of a team that exemplifies a deep commitment to people and planet, embedding a sustainable mindset across both companies. Making the world better is one of Haworth’s foundational, company-wide values. Through research, development, and the actualization of creative, sustainable solutions, Haworth helps protect and restore the environment, support and strengthen global communities, create economic value, and inspire well-being—now and for the future.
Our custom division, Platform by Unisource Solutions only partners with local manufacturers who perform with high awareness of environmental impact, such as Valentine Woodworks. From lean manufacturing techniques throughout the manufacturing process, using 100% pre-consumer recycled wood fiber particle board, as well as shipping materials that are 100% recyclable, we strive to lower energy and waste together.
Learn More About Our Net-Zero Partnership
Contact us to learn more about our net-zero partnership and how we help our clients reduce, reuse, recycle, and improve their environmental bottom-line.